The Kachin National Organization is a political organization founded on the 9th of January 1999. This formation was the result of extensive discussion between the overseas Kachins and the elders from the Kachin homeland.
Since the cease-fire agreement on the 24th of February 1994, the Burmese military dictatorship has steadily built up more garrisons in our country with the clear intention to continue and establish military occupation.
Contrary to the people's expectations, the Kachin homeland today is without security due to the lack of definitive political policies. There is no economic opportunity amidst rampant inflation and people are reduced to the lowest level of subsistence. Equally lacking are proper healthcare and education.
This is an insidious destruction of the Kachins and at the same time a devious way of identifying the Kachinland with Burma.
The main goals of the Kachin National Organization are to regain the inalienable rights of people by establishing an independent Kachinland and restore their pride and freedom.
Organization Name : It shall be called the Kachin National Organization or by its acronym, KNO.
Organization Homeland : It is a statehood and shall be called Kachinland.
Organization Emblem : Historic ceremonial poles representing Male and Female with a Harbinger Drum.
Four colors with traditional meanings
Evergreen : Truth and Faith
Red : Bravery and Sacrifice
Blue : Loyalty and Peace
White : Honesty and Integrity
Sun : Source of Life
Ceremonial Poles : Symbol of Cultural Heritage
Governing Body : The Assembly of the People shall be called the Central Council.
Executive Branch : The elected officers shall be under the Management Council.
1. There is only one class of KNO membership. The Founders and Signatories to this document do not constitute a separate or special class of membership.
2. KNO membership is open to citizens of both genders, born or ordinary resident in the Kachinland regardless of location, language, and religion. Kachins living outside of the
Kachinland are deemed to be citizens for the purpose of KNO membership.
3. There is no membership fee. All management expenses shall be borne by voluntary contributions.
1. The appointed and confirmed KNO leaders serve under the By-laws of the Management Council.
2. Officers under the current service are selected, nominated and confirmed by the consent of the conference members.
3. Officers of the Management Council include the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, General Secretary and Deputy Secretary.
4. Term of office, unless otherwise stated or amended, shall be four years.
5. The Management Council has the duty to meet twice a year.
6. All matters relating to policy and financial decisions require a two-thirds majority vote while all other matters only require a simple majority.
7. Minutes of the meetings are to be recorded by the Secretary.
8. Communication and correspondence relating to KNO business may be conducted by Council officers who must then brief the Chairman.
9. The Management Council is vested with authority to interpret the Constitution and Policies.
1.The Central Council is a unicameral Legislative Assembly of the People. Members of this body are elected from all the Districts of Kachinland.
2.The Central Council elects its own leaders for the offices of Chief Coun-cilor, House Speaker and Recorder.
3.Through the directives of the Central Council, KNO will lead the People. In the interim, KNO leadership operates directly under the Management Council.
4.The Central Council shall have the duty to select and confirm KNO leadership of the Management Council.
5.The term of office for the Central Council members shall be four years, as that of the Management Council.
6.The Central Council shall meet under the direction of the Chief Councilor at the beginning of each calendar month and the Recorder shall take minutes.
7.The Vice Councilor shall preside in all meetings and act as chief in the absence of the Chief Councilor.
8.The Speaker of the Central Council shall conduct and officiate at all meetings.
9.The Central Council shall form committees for the establishment of various Ministries and Departments.
1.All elected and confirmed members of the Central Council, Management Council, Ministry and Department officials shall be sworn to carry their duties with a high sense of responsibility.
2.The Central Council is vested with power to interpret and render opinion of the Constitution and its By-laws and to re-interpret its Constitution by amendment.
3.The Central Council is also vested with power to revise, change and amend the policies of all the governing bodies.
4.The Central Council is given the authority to reprimand and remove any of its members who violate the Constitution and its By-laws.
5.The Central Council derives its constitutional powers to nominate, appoint and confirm members from within the Assembly or from the public at large to replace or fill any vacant post.
6.The Central Council requires an annual mandatory meeting of Manage-ment Council Executives, and Ministry and Department Heads.
7.All political issues placed on the agenda for discussion shall be debated in order to pass resolutions for adoption or rejection.
8.Leaders of the Central Council Assembly and KNO Executive officials will implement the core objectives of the organization.
9.The paramount objectives are the attainment of an independent Kachinland and the creation of an elective government.